A reminder of some tips for Fire Safety at Home
Fire safety in the kitchen:
- Double check that all appliances are turned off when not being used.
- Regularly check the batteries in heat/smoke detectors as well as carbon monoxide detectors.
- Never leave a stove unattended.
- Regularly clean ovens and stoves to prevent a build up of oil and grease.
- Clean lint screens and trays of tumble dryers before each use.
Fire safety in the living room:
- Allow plenty of space around electric/space heaters, never cover them or leave them unattended.
- Never overload or daisy-chain (plug on into another) extension leads.
- Keep lit candles out of reach of children and on a flat, stable surface.
- Never leave lit candles unattended.
- Do not smoke on soft furnishings.
Fire safety in the bedroom:
- Regularly check that smoke detectors are working.
- Never put phones or tablets under pillows, blankets or duvets.
- Make sure hair straighteners, curlers are kept on a heat proof mat.
- Allow hair straighteners, curlers and hairdryers to cool before being left.
- Do not charge electricals on beds or soft surfaces.
Extra fire safety tips:
- Keep lighters and matches out of reach of children.
- Teach everyone in your home about fire safety and practice what to do if there is a fire.
- Close all doors before you go to bed, this will slow a fire, giving you more time to get out.
- There should be at least one smoke detector on each floor of your home, usually in escape routes.
- Regularly check the condition of electrical cables, making sure the are not frayed or damaged.
More information can be found at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/make-your-home-safe-from-fire/fire-safety-in-the-home-accessible-version