Having a BBQ with friends and family on a summer evening is great, but do you know how to stay safe and what to do if anything goes wrong?
Top Tips for Staying Safe
- Make sure your BBQ is on a stable, level surface that is not near any wooden sheds, trees, or hedges.
- Never leave a lit BBQ
- Keep children and pets away from the BBQ
- Keep a bucket of water near by if case of emergency
- Always use appropriate utensils
- Allow the BBQ to cool fully before moving
How to treat a burn
- Cool the area with a cool running liquid, ideally water, but any cold liquid will work, for at least 20 minutes.
- If safe to do so, remove any jewellery and clothing. If the area is too swollen, or clothing has melted, do not attempt to remove.
- Wrap the area in clingfilm to keep it clean.
- If necessary, take the casualty to hospital.
- Only ever apply a burn soothe dressing to a burn – never apply Vaseline, or Sudocrem.